Saturday, February 7, 2009

Relatively speaking

So, Chinese new year is a time to visit family, pay respects to your ancestors, etc. And I didn't know it before I came out here, but I have relatives in Shanghai! My grandma grew up in Shanghai, but I guess I never asked about details. My aunt who lives in Seattle sent me a nice bday card a few weeks ago and included a photos of my great aunt/uncle and she said I should visit them.
So, last Friday (I went with Thomas from work who speaks Shanghainese just in case) we went to visit them, and they were only 10 minutes away. Well, a man opened the door and with a few questions and photos, I found out that he is my grandma's cousin. His brother was there as well. My great aunt and uncle, did I mention that they are 101 and 102 (!!!!) were sleeping. How very cool. He showed me an address book of all my relatives and low and behold, my parent's name and address were in there too. I went out for lunch with him and a few more relatives today, who were all born and raised in Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment