Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A foreign tradition and local culture

My friend Rebecca has a family tradition that has passed down through the ages- Having an"Ice Cream for Breakfast Day." (can be anyway in Feb- this started 40 years ago) She invited me over and I brought along Thomas and Evan. We had a table full of toppings which ranged from wasabi peas to fermented tofu. I mainly stuck to the MMs. There definitely were some winners- crushed mint Lifesavers and Hawthorn candy. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, I'll have to carry on the tradition in SF when I get back.

This weekend I also visited the Shanghai museum. My coworker Kelly was in town, and Wendy joined us as well. It's a great museum but we only spent 2 hours there before we all wanted to grab lunch! We visited the top two floors that mainly had jade, furniture, name stamps, coins and calligraphy. Next time I'll check out the bronze. Also, I couldn't help but buy a useless kite in the shape of a large squid for $7. I will have to bust it out on the Marina someday.





No comments:

Post a Comment