Saturday, February 7, 2009

New Ride

Funny how one gets accustomed to an area in so short a time period. I've noticed that I've taken less pictures because I am finding things less out of the ordinary. I think I need to go back to the US to reset my perspective. Profuse spitting, dog crap all over the place, etc... not even a second look anymore.

Anyway, so I made a big purchase today. I've been wanting to get a bike for various reasons and set out today to buy one. However, there are so many to choose from. I decided I wanted an electric bike, one- they don't really have those in the US, two- during the hot season which will come faster than I know it, I won't want to be pedaling a lot, three- hey, it's close enough to a motorcycle but I can't go at top speeds (and shouldn't) with all these crazy Shanghai drivers.
I got one down to 1400 RMB which is about 200 USD. Now, its hard to get a decent used bike in the US for that much so buying a new electric bike was a pretty good deal. Check out my new ride below. It's got a removable battery, lights, pedals for when I want to pedal, horn, basket, lockable compartment, rack, and service anytime I need it. Not too shabby. I bought three locks as well. One to keep the battery on, one for the real wheel, and a longer one to tie to a post or something. I'm starting to look authentic people! well, maybe not with my helmet on.

2 comments:

  1. Do a lot of people ride electric bikes??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're quite common. I told my co-worker todays that I got one and one woman said, "wow, that's really Chinese." and she was Chinese.

    ReplyDelete