Monday, April 20, 2009

Hanson comes to visit!

So my brother Hanson came to visit from Sat April 11-20th. He came before last Xmas with my parents, but this time was more casual and I now know the city/country just a tad bit better :)
We went to an "indie concert" at a local venue on Sat night, played soccer with the IDEO team on Sun, and went to Sue and Eric's housewarming that day as well. It was nice to bring him along and meet all my Shanghai friends.

Another weird thing happened this week, I got to experience a little bit of the health system here. One of my co-workers brought her little kitten into the office the other day and while I was playing with her, the kitten bit my finger. Kitties tend to do this often, and it wasn't a big deal...Until my finger became very swollen the next day! I thought I should see someone after the 2nd day so I went to the local hospital here. It was pretty Western and they all spoke English. I have medical insurance, and everything went smoothly. I had a little scare as I had to speak to the nurse in Chinese, and trying to explain health problems is little tough. Then the doctor came and was like, "So, what's the problem here?" Ah... A week of antibiotics later, I'm fine and dandy.

Also, our IDEO office arranged a class with a Chinese calligraphy instructor at the local language school. 9 of us went and learned the basics of "Shu fa" and spent a good 2 hours practicing lines and dots! This art takes years to master, at least I have a much better appreciation for it!



No comments:

Post a Comment