Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chengdu and Pandas!

This weekend I went with friends Evan, Thomas, Grace, and Wilson to Chengdu! I initiated the trip because I have a big soft spot for Pandas. I had heard that you could hug one, and I was sold. We left at 8:30 am and got in around noon. Chengdu is in the Sichuan province-they are known for their spicy food! We stayed at the Haiyatt (yes- that is spelled correctly :) and in the afternoon we visited a famous poet, Dufu's, residence. We also went to a crafty street, Jingli, and it was so inspiring! There was everything from blown candy to calligraphy and ancient arrow shooting. After grabbing a quick bite at the local stands we made it to a variety show of sorts whose main attraction was the "bian lian" (changing masks) show. During the show, they dance and perform, and all of a sudden, their faces switch masks, without any hands. Very fun, and I'm still thinking about how they do it and resisting to look it up on Wikipedia.

The next day we hired a driver who drove us to the Chengdu Panda Research Center. They help breed and raise pandas. So hugging a panda for all of 2 minutes was over $100 but hey, you only live once. It was sooo cute. It isn't too heavy, and surprisingly the fur is not as fluffy as you might think. It's kind of oily. They had us wear these blue suits and gloves to protect the cub, and our clothes! To keep the little guy occupied, we gave him a small bamboo stick with honey on it. He was a little squirmy but so adorable. After that we walked around and saw pandas of various ages. In the nursury you could see all the cubs playing with each other. I might see if I can volunteer there! Afterwards, we drove to lunch and then went to a local teahouse- its a local tradition and people play mahjang and poker. I learned to play mahjang for the first time. I highly recommend Chengdu!






No comments:

Post a Comment