Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Barack and my birthday

ok, so I'm ethnically Chinese and livin' in China and all, but I'm of course a total American patriot! Who isn't these days with Barack in office? So I started looking for an Obama party early on- and found a place, the Glamour bar on the Bund as a good place to hang. Now, Obama's inauguration started at 12 noon EST, and that's about 1am our time. (on the 21st) There were about 600 people at this bar and I met up with a few folks there. Stupid me, I dressed "American" with my baseball cap and red and white gear...but this was definitely a bar, and so shed my hat early on. Very cool to be an American overseas and watch the whole ceremony and his speech. Really interesting perspective with my current "global citizen" state right now and seeing the US from afar. I get a lot of questions about "why the Americans do such and such."

Ah, so my birthday was today too. Nice to have a new president as a gift. At work, we went out for noodles as that's a tradition on someone's birthday. If the place had served it, I would have gotten the "Long Life" noodles- which is just one big long noodle. haha. At work, they got me a cake, and I went out with some friends to karaoke (!) afterwards. Ah, KTV as they affectionately call it. We went to this place that is literally three floors of individual rooms for KTV. and there's a dinner buffet included. it was petty nice- I think there's an opportunity here for the US. Maybe WiiTV, or RockBandTV? anyone anyone?

good times. Although I must say, this year I'm not as eager to celebrate the bday in any big grand fashion. Must be getting older!






1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very fun birthday!! Glad you were able to find a place to watch the inauguration. Sadly, I missed it and had to watch a recap on the evening news.

    ReplyDelete