Sunday, May 10, 2009

More about bikes

So here are a few fun shots from various methods of transport I use daily. (okay, let's just stick to bikes). The first one is a fun one that Thomas took of me- I ride my electric scooter to work just about everyday. It's great because the office has a basement where I can charge it, and it's not So fast that I will lethally injure myself. I also get a kick out wearing my "helmet" every time as well.

I went on a bike ride with some friends this weekend around LuWan (the French Concession) and we saw some great neighborhoods. Biking is the best way to get to know (any) city, and in Shanghai once you know where the good bike streets are and you have a bit of courage to turn left with cars coming in every which way, you're set. We went thorugh a lot of alleyways and I need to retrace our route on a map so I start to memorize more street names. One memorable event was that I got a flat tire. Luckily right in one of the little alleys was a guy fixing bikes. Now, in the US, I'm sure that some guy would sell me an inner tube and also maybe $10 to change it. This guy saw it, just pulled out the tube (without taking the tire off), put it in a water bucket and found where the hole was and patched it. The whole thing took like 4 minutes and its was 3RMB. (40 cents)

The weather is already hot (well, the Chinese think this upper 80 degree weather is just "warm") so we went early to beat the heat. With the beginning of May this hot, I can only imagine what August is like! I do forget what seasons are, living in the Bay area for the past 5 years. I must say, it's nice to change up my wardrobe.

I see a lot of stray kitties around, and in my apartment complex basement, there were two kittens who were scampering around. Can you spot them?


No comments:

Post a Comment