Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Food, Folks, and beef jerky

I've been keeping track of some interesting food packaging and thought I'd write a post after opening a "Russian doll" creme candy today.














If you didn't already know, I have a big sweet tooth. While Maria from PA was in town, we went on a splurge for Chinese candies. I'm traveling in Guangzhou right now for some research on my project but decided to crack this open. Inside the plastic flow-wrap was a whole other roll wrapped in paper, and then upon opening that, I had to unwrap each individual piece. Maybe they want you to really appreciate this candy by all the work that goes into opening it!




























So here's another odd "first moment of truth" packaging example. I saw these on the shelf in the snack isle and first reaction; mmm! Sweet candies. ah..no. I can't read that much Chinese, but I knew these words. "很牛" literally means "Very Cow." Yeah, not that appetizing, but just so you know, that is also slang for "that rocks." So, actually it's a pretty good name. Its a beef jerky brand and they package the meat in little candy morsel pieces... a little surprising but hey, it's full of taste and spice so why not?














And here is a package of Lay's "Pringles." They are in a similar inner-foil tube, but once opened, you can pull out a tray with mini-chips. Or are they called crisps? It makes sense as there weren't as many crumbly ones at the very bottom. But alas, the little chips are probably too dainty for American tastes. Another "cute" thing to add to the Asian list.

No comments:

Post a Comment