Saturday, June 6, 2009

Construction Junction, what's your function?

Shanghai is getting ready for the 2010 Expo (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/world/asia/31expo.html) and even though I, and a lot of my local friends, don't really see the point of this "World's Fair" it is an excuse for Shanghai to modernize itself. With it comes lots of Expo marketing and construction everywhere. There are supposed to be 5 new lines or extensions of the subway as well as a ton of new buildings situated in an area that was cleared just for this.
Right near my apartment there is a ton of construction, and I think it is the junction of a new subway line. The road in front of my apartment has has so many different construction vehicles I feel like it's been a "Catapillar runway." It's been a hassle as there's a lot of noise, the walkway is a deathtrap, and I can't get a taxi since the road is blocked off. However, the other day, all of a sudden, what was that? no noise? The road was finally fixed! After 6 months, wow. Here is a series of photos of the road. Also, a photo of me and the Shanghai "Haibao" who was on the Subway and accosted me for a photo and a model of the new Expo site.

No comments:

Post a Comment